Steroids are basically chemicals that occur naturally in human body. When the amount of these natural occurring steroids decreases in the body then man-made steroid medicines are taken to overcome the shortage. These body supplements are available in the form of tablets, and liquids that can be taken through mouth and are known as oral steroids. They are also used to treat several kinds of diseases in the body that arise mainly due to lack of steroids in the body. There are few important things that you should know before buying these body supplements.
- Oral steroids are different from anabolic steroids.
- They are used to treat severe conditions such as inflammatory bowel diseases, autoimmune diseases, joint and muscle, asthma and allergies. Also, these steroids have the potential to treat major diseases like cancer. People whose body is unable to produce natural hormones, they are prescribed oral steroids.
- Steroids taken for a period of 7 to 14 days do not cause any side effect.
- Steroids taken for a period of 2-3 months most often result in some problems or allergies.
- Generally, doctors prescribe short-term doses of these oral steroids to avoid any side-effect. However few of the severe disease require huge doses of these tablets and it varies from person to person. Higher the dose, greater the risk of side-effects.
- If a person is taking high doses of steroids from time to time, chances are that they may see a gain in the body weight. A person may develop puffiness around the face as a result of high dose.
- If you have diabetes and you are dependent on steroids then, chances of high blood sugar level will increase probably. Increase in the sugar level in the body means that you will now have to depend on another treatment to cure diabetes.
- Generally, a person feels good after taking steroids however, a person may notice mood and behavioral changes in them in some conditions. It sometimes may cause health and mental problems. You can take advice of your doctor in this case.